Jing Lv; Yan Liu; Xiang-feng Kong; Ping-ping Fan; Xuan Cao; Qian Wang
Shandong Provincial Key laboratory of Ocean Environment Monitoring Technology
Shandong Academy of science Institute of Oceanographic Instrumentation
With the increasing of water pollution, it is very urgent to monitor the water quality and to respond to the timely warning of water safety. As an effective means to monitor and to make early warning for water pollution, biological monitoring technology has got the rapid development. This paper introduced the methods and characteristics of biological monitoring. The advances of study on the biological monitoring and its applications in recent years are reviewed, also the problems and countermeasures are summarized. Last, the perspectives of biological monitoring are discussed.
Key words: water pollution monitoring; biological monitoring technology; early warning.
LIST OF REFERENCES
- Zheng X, Feng Z, Ding L, et al. Review of online biological monitoring systems with the use of daphnia Magna [J]. Environmental Monitoring and Forewarning, 2011, 2: 007.
- Markert B, Meie Wang, Wünschmann S, et al. Biological indicator and biological monitoring of environmental quality assessment in [J]. Journal of ecology, 2013, 33 (1): 33–44.
- Cairns J E. Biological monitoring in water pollution [M]. Elsevier, 2013.
- Vernberg, F. John. Biological monitoring of marine pollutants [M]. Elsevier, 2012.
- Mochizuki M, Kaitsuka C, Ueda F, et al. An innovative approach to biological monitoring using wildlife [M]. INTECH Open Access Publisher, 2011.
- Gerhardt A, Ingram M K, Kang I J, et al. In situ on-line toxicity biomonitoring in water: Recent developments [J]. Environmental toxicology and chemistry, 2006, 25(9): 2263–2271.
- Karr J R, Chu E W. Seven foundations of biological monitoring and assessment [J]. Biologia Ambientale, 2006, 20(2): 7–18.
- Cairns Jr, Lanza G.R., Parker B.C. Pollution related to structural and functional changes in aquatic communities with emphasis on freshwater algae and protozoa. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 124, 1972, 79–127.
- Shen Yunfen, Zhang Zong. Gong involved, through the moment. The new technology of [J]. micro biological monitoring Chinese Beijing: Construction Industry Press, 1990, 72.
- Kuidong Xu, Joong Ki Choi, Eun Jin Yang, et al. Biomonitoring of coastal pollution status using protozoan communities with a modified PFU method. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 2002, 44(9): 877–886.
- Zhang Yuguo, Li Zhaoxia, Liang Huixing. Evaluation of static toxicity of chemical wastewater by PFU micro organism community monitoring technology [J]. ecological journal, 2012, 32 (23): 7336–7345.
- Ding C, Chen T, Li Z, et al. Assessing and monitoring the ecotoxicity of pulp and paper wastewater for irrigating reed fields using the polyurethane foam unit method based on monitoring protozoal communities [J]. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 2015: 1–11.
- Elad T, Almog R, Yagur-Kroll S, et al. Online monitoring of water toxicity by use of bioluminescent reporter bacterial biochips [J]. Environmental science & technology, 2011, 45(19): 8536–8544.
- Li Shuyue. The design and research of a fast detection apparatus for luminous bacteria [D]. Chongqing University, 2011.
- Zhi song Cui, Xiao Luan, Gao Wei, et al. Light emitting bacteria in the ring Bohai sewage samples genotoxicity detection [J]. Marine and limnetic 2015, 46 (1): 228–232.
- Wang Qingwei, Song Zhihui. Cu2+, Cd2+ and Cr6+ for the study on the combined toxicity and biological warning of zebrafish [J]. 2011, 6 (4): 361–366.
- Wang H J, Li S X, Zhou L F, et al. The Effect of Exposure to Five Kinds of Heavy Metals on Respiratory Movement of Zebra Fish (Brachydanio rerio) [J]. Journal of Agro-Environment Science, 2010, 29(9): 1675–1680.
- Kramer K J M, Jenner H A, de Zwart D. The valve movement response of mussels: a tool in biological monitoring [M] // Environmental Bioassay Techniques and their Application. Springer Netherlands, 1989: 433–443.
- Jenner H A, Noppert F, Sikking T. A new system for the detection of valve movement response of bivalves[J]. Kema Scientific and Technical Reports, 1989, 7(2): 91–98.
- Kramer K J M, Foekema E M. The “Musselmonitor®” as biological early warning system [M] // Biomonitors and Biomarkers as Indicators of Environmental Change 2. Springer US, 2001: 59–87.
- De Zwart D.; Kramer, K. M. J.; Jenner, H.A. Practical experiences with the biology early warning system “mosselmonitor”. Environment Tocicolry Water Quality. 2006, 10: 237–247.
- Storey M V, van der Gaag B, Burns B P. Advances in on-line drinking water quality monitoring and early warning systems [J]. Water Research, 2011, 45(2): 741–747.
- MacNeil C, Boets P, Platvoet D. ‘Killer Shrimps’. Dangerous Experiments and Misguided Introductions: How Freshwater Shrimp (Crustacea: Amphipoda) Invasions Threaten Biological Water Quality Monitoring in the British Isles [J]. Freshwater Reviews, 2012, 5(1): 21–35.
- Zhang J, Ma L, Ma C X, et al. Zoobenthos Used in Water Quality Assessment in Songhua River in Harbin City [J]. Advanced Materials Research, 2011, 339: 705–709.
- Caro K, Enriquez E, Juscamayta E, et al. Validation of a Biological Monitoring Design in Highly Diverse Tropical Forests [J]. 2013.
- Cai Kun, Zhang Jie, Xu Zhaoan, et al. Evaluation of the ecological health of Taihu lake, 2014, 26 (1): 74–82.
- Buckley J, Beebee T J C, Schmidt B R. Monitoring amphibian declines: population trends of an endangered species over 20 years in Britain[J]. Animal Conservation, 2014, 17(1): 27–34.
- Xu Shixia, Li Xudong, Wang Yuezhao. Research on the biological detection of amphibians in the water body of water as the indicator of biological research, 2003, 38 (6): 110–114.
- Dellali M, Barelli M G, Romeo M, et al. The use of acetylcholinesterase activity in Ruditapes decussatus and Mytilusgalloprovincialis in the biomonitoring of Bizerta lagoon [J]. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part C: Toxicology & Pharmacology, 2001, 130(2): 227–235.
- Pavlica M, Klobučar G I V, Mojaš N, et al. Detection of DNA damage in haemocytes of zebra mussel using comet assay [J]. Mutation Research / Genetic Toxicology and Environmental Mutagenesis, 2001, 490(2): 209–214.
- Zhang W, Asiri A M, Liu D, et al. Nanomaterial-based biosensors for environmental and biological monitoring of organophosphorus pesticides and nerve agents [J]. TrAC Trends in Analytical Chemistry, 2014, 54: 1–10.
- Raymond L D, AniláPatel B. Buckycolumn electrodes: a practical and improved alternative to conventional materials utilised for biological electrochemical monitoring [J]. Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 2013, 1(35): 4359–4363.
- Uherek C B, Pinto Gouveia F B. Biological Monitoring Using Macroinvertebrates as Bioindicators of Water Quality of Maroaga Stream in the Maroaga Cave System, Presidente Figueiredo, Amazon, Brazil [J]. International Journal of Ecology, 2014.
- Bevan R, Angerer J, Cocker J, et al. Framework for the development and application of environmental biological monitoring guidance values[J]. Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, 2012, 63(3): 453–460.
- Aquilina N J, Delgado-Saborit J M, Meddings C, et al. Environmental and biological monitoring of exposures to PAHs and ETS in the general population[J]. Environment international, 2010, 36(7): 763–771.
155 total views, 1 views today