Institute of Marine Biological Researches of RAS, Russian Federation, Sevastopol, Nakhimov av., 2.
Seasonal variability of phytoplankton biomass, “pure” primary production and its share consumed micro¬zooplankton, as well as the specific microzooplankton grazing rate of phytoplankton for the surface layer (0-1 m) in coastal waters of the Black Sea was studied. Almost 80% of the total annual primary’ produc¬tion of phytoplankton is created by phytoplankton with the average cell volume .from 150 to 4000 mm3. The main share of annual primary production, eaten by microzooplankton (86%) is also associated with these algae sized groups.
Key words: primary production, phytoplankton biomass, specific microzooplankton grazing rate of phytoplankton.
LIST OF REFERENCES
1. Schmoker С., Hernandes-Leon S., Calbet A. Microzooplankton grazing in the oceans: impacts, data variability, knowledge gaps and future directions. J. Plankton Res. 2013. Vol. 35. pp. 691-706.
2. Stelmakh L. V, Georgieva E. Yu. Microzooplankton: the trophic role and involvement in the phytoplankton loss and bloom-formation in the Black Sea. Turkish Journal of Fish. Aquat. Sciences. 2014. Vol. 14. pp. 955-964.
3. Landry M.R., Hassett R. P. Estimating the Grazing Impact of Marine Micro- Zooplankton. Mar. Biol.1982.Vol. 67. pp. 283-288.
4. Stelmakh Jl.B., Babich II, Tugrul S., Moncheva S., Stefanova K. Growth rate of phytoplankton and its consumption by zooplankton in the western part of the Black Sea in autumn. Oceanology, 2009. Vol. 49. No. 1. pp. 90-100.
5. Menden-Deuer S., Lessard E.J. Carbon to volume relationships for dinoflagellates, diatoms and other protist plankton. Limnol. Oceanogr. 2000. Vol. 45. pp. 569-579.
6. Moigis, A.G., Gocke K. Primary production of phytoplankton estimated by means of the dilution method in coastal waters. J. Plankt. Res. 2003. Vol. 25. pp. 1291- 1300.
7. Methods for hydrochemical studies of the main biogenic elements. Moskwa: VNIRO. 1988. 119 p.
8. Parsons T.R., Takahashi M., Hargrave V.M. Biological oceanography. Moskwa: Light and food industry. 1982.pp. 89-91.
9. Stelmakh L.V., Kuftarkova E.A., Babich I.I. Seasonal variability of the phytoplankton growth rate in the coastal waters of the Black Sea (Sevastopol region). Morsk. eco. zhurn. 2009. Vol. 5, No. 2. pp. 74-87.
10. Stelmakh L.V., Kuftarkova E.A., Akimov A.I., Babich I.I., Kozhemyaka A.B. The use of variable chlorophyll fluorescence in vivo to assess the functional state of phytoplankton. Environmental monitoring systems. Sevastopol: MGI NASU, 2010. Issue. 13.pp. 263-268.
11. Stelmakh L.V. The influence of cell size on the seasonal variability of the growth rate of phytoplankton of the surface coastal waters of the Black Sea. Materials of the All-Russian scientific and practical conference with international participation, timed to the 145th anniversary of the Sevastopol biological station. Sevastopol, September 19-24, 2016 Vol. 2. pp.451-454.