Institute of Natural and Technical Systems, Russian Federation, Sevastopol, Lenin Street, 28
UDC 574.34: 57.045
The results of measurements of potential recruitment of Bivalvia – mussel Mytilus galloprovincialis Lamarck, 1819, mytilaster Mytilaster lineatus (Gmelin, 1791), as well as the recent invader anadara Anadara kagoshimensis (Tokunaga, 1906) in coastal waters of the Black and Adriatic Seas in various perennial periods starting from the middle of the 20th century are considered in this article.
The potential recruitment of mollusks (i.e., the number of post-larvae that appeared on the experimental substrates per unit of time – optimally, per month) was determined using two types of experimental substrates: glass plates with a smooth surface and substrates formed from acrylic yarn with thin filaments.
According to the results of the experiments with simultaneous exposure of two types of substrates, transient coefficients were obtained, showing how many times the parameter under study increased when using acrylic substrates, as compared to glass plates. The number of post-larvae of mollusks in the period of their mass settling was higher on acrylic substrates than on glass plates: mussel – several times (8 times), anadarа and mytilaster – one or two orders of magnitude (28 and 170 times, respectively).
The application of the transient coefficient made it possible to determine that the maximum values of the potential mussel recruitment in winter-spring seasons of the 21st century decreased in the Sevastopol region as compared to those of the second half of the 20th century.
The highest values of the potential recruitment of the studied mollusks in the seasons of mass settling were characteristic of mytilaster, the lowest – for anadara.
Keywords: larvae, post-larvae, glass plates and substrates with filaments structures.
LIST OF REFERENCES:
- Smith J.R., Fong P., Ambrose R.F. Spatial patterns in recruitment and growth of the mussel Mytilus californianus (Conrad) in southern and northern California, USA, two regions with differing oceanographic conditions // Journal of Sea Research. 2009. 61 (3). P. 165–173.
- Blanchette С., GainesD. Distribution, abundance, size and recruitment of the mussel, Mytilus californianus, across a major oceanographic and biogeographic boundary at Point Conception, California, USA // Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology. 2007. 340(2). P. 268–279.
- Dolgopolskaya M. A. Experimental study of the fouling process in the sea / / Tr. Sevastop. Biol. stations. I960. Vol. 8. P. 157-173.
- Nikitin V. N., Turpaeva E. P. Processes of fouling in the Black sea. Settling of larvae in the area of Gelendzhik / / Dokl. USSR ACADEMY OF SCIENCES. 1958. 121. № 2. P. 172-174.
- Braiko V. D. Fouling in the Black sea / Kiev: Naukova Dumka. 1985. P. 123.
- Hrs-Brenko M. The settlement of mussels and oysters in the northern Adriatic sea // Nova Thalassia. 1980. 4. P. 67–85.
- Bayne B. L. Growth and the delay of metamorphosis of larvae of Mytilus edulis (L.) // Oрhelia. 1965. 2. № 1. P. 1–47.
- Patent 96366 C2 RU, IPC A01K 61/00 Method for studying the replenishment of the settlements of mussels, mitilaster and anadara in the coastal zone of the Black sea / Kazankova I. I. (RU), Shchurov S. V. (RU); applicant Institute of biology of the southern seas named after A. A. Kovalevsky, national Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (UA). no. a201005467; application 05.05.2010; publ. 25.10.2011. Bull. № 20. 2011.
- Patent 2548105 of the Russian Federation. IPC A01K 61/00 no. 2014150175/93 Method for studying the replenishment of the settlements of Midia, mitilaster and anadara in the coastal zone of the Black sea / patent holder Feder. State Budget. HRM. Institute of marine biological research named after A. O. Kovalevsky of the Russian Academy of Sciences. 30.10.2014; prior. 05.05.2010; publ. 10.04.2015. Bull. № 10.
- Hrs-Brenko M. The seasonal fluctuation of the mussel larvae in the northern Adriatic sea // Aquacultura. 1974. 3. Р. 45– 50.
- Kazankova I. I. Seasonal dynamics of bivalve larvae and their vertical distribution in the coastal plankton of the outer RAID of the Sevastopol Bay (Black sea) // Ecology of the sea. 2002. No. 61. P. 53-59.
- Mitilids of the Black sea / V. E. Zaika, N. A. Valovaya, A. S. Povchun [et al.] / K.: Naukova Dumka. 1990. P. 205.
- Kazankova I. I. Features of dynamics of settling of mussel larvae and mitilaster in connection with overgrowth phenomena at the South-Western coast of the Crimea (Black sea) // Ecology of the sea. 2000. № 51. P. 35-40.
- Kazankova I.I. Potential filling of the mussel Mytilus galloprovincialis Lam. in the conditions of the southern coast of the Crimea and Sevastopol Bay // Monitoring systems of environment. Sevastopol: INTS. 2017. Vol. 10 (30). P. 102-108.
- Eyster L.S., Pechenik J.A. Attachment of Mytilus edulis L. larvae on algal and byssal filaments is enhanced by water agitation // J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 1987. 114. № 2/3. P. 99–110.
- Kazankova I. I. Behavioral reactions of settling pediveligers Mytilus galloprovincialis Lam. at different modes of water movement // Monitoring systems of environment. Sevastopol: INTS. 2016. Vol. 3 (23). P. 119-124.
- Yeletskiy B. D. Concept of conservation and use of stocks of bivalve mussels Mytilus galloprovincialis Lam. in the Eastern part of the Black Sea: dis. … doctors of biological Sciences: 03.00.32, 03.00.23. Krasnodar. 2006. P. 46.
- Stadnichenko S. V., Sharova N. M., Zolotarev V. N. Spatial and temporal changes in the population of mussels (Mytilus galloprovincialis) in the North-Western part of the Black sea / Zoocenosis-2013: Biodiversity and the role of animals in ecosystems. VII mezhdunar. science. Conf. (Dnepropetrovsk, October 22-25, 2013). 2013. P. 68-70.
- Petrova-Pavlova E. Non-fish marine resources and their exploitation along the Bulgarian Black Sea coast // Agricultural Science and Technology. 2014. V. 6. № 2. P. 21–218.
- Long-term changes in the macrofauna of rocks in the upper sublitoral zone near Karadag (Black sea) / N. A. Boltacheva, M. A. Kovaleva, M. V. Makarov [et al.] / / in the collection: 100 years of the Karadag scientific station. T. I. Vyazemsky. Simferopol. 2015. P. 530-548.
- Species richness and quantitative and development of macrozoobenthos of the Zernov filophore field / N. K. Revkov, N. A. Boltacheva, I. P. Bondarev [et al.] // SB.mater. all-Russian scientific-practical. Conf. “Marine biological research: achievements and prospects”. (Sevastopol, September 19-24, 2016). 2016. Vol. 2. P. 126-129.
- Govorin I. A., Shatsillo E. I. Interannual changes in the abundance and biomass of the mussel Mytilus galloprovincialis Lam. and Mytilaster Mytilaster lineatus Gmel. in periphytic settlements in the Odessa coast of the Black sea // Visnyk odeskogo NAT. over. Series: Biologia. 2016. Vol. 21. Vol. 1. P. 117-129.
- Characteristics of the bioluminescence field in the coast of Sevastopol: results of long-term monitoring / A.V. Melnik, V. V. Melnikov, A. N. Serebrennikov [et al.] // environmental monitoring Systems. Sevastopol: INTS. 2019. Vol. 1 (35). P. 79– 87.
- Kazankova I.I. Peculiarities of seasonal dynamics of Mytilus galloprovincialis larvae numbers in the coastal zone of the Crimea (based on long term data) // Hydrobiological Journal. 2014. 50. № 3. С. 13–20.
- Pereladov M. V. Distribution in plankton, seasonal dynamics of abundance and settling of mussels in the Sudak Bay of the Black sea. tr. VNIRO: Biology and cultivation of mollusks. Moscow: VNIRO. 1987. P. 99-108.