M.V. Volkodaeva1, V.A. Kuznetsov2, Y.A. Volodina3
Saint-Petersburg Mining University, RF, Saint-Petersburg, 21-st Line, 2
Formaldehyde is one of the pollutants that have a negative effect on human health and, as a result, are among those measured during the ambient air monitoring in St. Petersburg. To determine formaldehyde concentrations, instruments are used whose operating principle is based on the optical method. But this method has certain disadvantages.
These disadvantages complicate the process of obtaining high-quality and stable results of the environmental monitoring. In this regard, a number of experiments were carried out using various methods: background formaldehyde concentrations were measured, as well as predetermined ones (obtained using a microflow source). The results of formaldehyde determination with using a Picarro G2107 gas analyzer and a FGH-1-2 chromatograph were grouped around a mathematical expectation, which proved the stability of measurements. However, concentrations measured with a gas analyzer did not satisfy stated metrological characteristics. Studies showed that the optical method was not able to determine small concentrations of formaldehyde due to its low sensitivity; while at high concentrations, the gas analyzer showed better results. According to the research, the method of gas-liquid chromatography demonstrated the stability and quality of measurements in determining both low and high concentrations. Therefore, we can conclude that if all the requirements are met, this method guarantees the correctness of the information obtained.
The results of further experiments showed the need of storage and transportation of formaldehyde samples in the refrigerator, which is related to the peculiarities of the behavior of the substance at room temperature.
Keywords: formaldehyde, atmospheric air, method, microflow, portable gas chromatograph, environmental monitoring, chromatography, chromatogram.
To quote, follow the DOI link and use the Actions-Cite option or copy:
[IEEE] M. V. Volkodaeva, V. A. Kuznetsov, and Y. A. Volodina, “On the verification of stability and sensitivity of the gas-liquid chromatography method in the st. Petersburg environmental monitoring system for measuring formaldehyde mass concentrations in the ambient air,” Monitoring systems of environment, no. 1, pp. 37–45, Mar. 2020.
LIST OF REFERENCES
- J. Luecken, S. L. Napelenok, M. Strum, R. Scheffeand S. Phillips. Sensitivity of ambient atmospheric formaldehyde and ozone to precursor species and source types across the U.S. Environmental Science and Technology, 2018, No. 52(8), pp. 4668–4675.
- Strum M., Scheffe R. National review of ambient air toxics observations. Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association, 2016, No. 66, pp.120–133.
- Yearbook State of Atmospheric Pollution in Cities in Russia for 2013. Saint-Petersburg, Federal Service for Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring, 2014, 247 p. [In Russ]
- Xiang Li, Shangshang Wang, Rui Zhoua and Bin Zhou. Urban atmospheric formaldehyde concentrations measured by a differential optical absorption spectroscopy method. Environmental Science: Processes and Impacts, 2014, No. 16, pp.291-297. DOI:10.1039/C3EM00545C
- Clair, J. M., Swanson, A. K., Bailey, S. A., Wolfe, G. M., Marrero, J. E., Iraci, L. T., Hagopian, J. G. and Hanisco, T. F. A new non-resonant laser-induced fluorescence instrument for the airborne in situ measurement of formaldehyde. Atmospheric Measurement Techniques, 2017, No. 10(12), pp.4833–4844. DOI 10.5194/amt-10-4833-2017
- Volkodaeva M. V., Volodina Ya. A. About formaldehyde measurement methods in ambient air. Ekologicheskie sistemy i pribory. 2017, No.2, pp. 3-9. [In Russ]
- Group of companies GRANAT, available at: http://granat-e.ru/picarro_g_2107.html (accessed 13.03.2019)
- Operation Photoionization gas chromatograph FGH model FGH 1-2 (KKE). Moscow, LLC Research and Production Enterprise Ekan, 2018, 21 p. [In Russ]
- Methods of measuring the mass concentration of acrolein, acetaldehyde, isobutyric aldehyde, butyraldehyde, propionic aldehyde, formaldehyde in atmospheric air, working area air, non-production air, industrial emissions by gas chromatography on portable gas chromatographs FGH and PGH. Moscow, LLC Research and Production Enterprise Ekan, 2015, 22 p. [In Russ]
- LLC Research and Production Enterprise Ekan, available at: http://www.ekan.ru (accessed 14.03.2019)
- Gas analyzers Picarro G2107. Supplement to the manual. USA, Picarro Inc., 2013, 5 p. [In Russ]