Branch of Institute of Natural and Technical Systems in Sochi, Kurortny Av., 99/18
To increase the reliability and durability of structures and equipment, various protection methods are used, the most common of which is the application of protective and decorative polymer coatings. The surface layers of the coatings are most sensitive to external factors. The processes occurring in these layers are one of the main reasons for the change in decorative properties, including color indicators. At the same time, high weather resistance of the outer layer provides enhanced protective properties of the entire paint system.
The paper studies the persistence of color indicators of various polymer coatings in a subtropical climate, characterized by high aggressiveness of the factors. Using instrumental methods for field exposure of samples in an open atmospheric area for 2.5 years, the colorimetric indicators in the CIELAB system and their color difference between the initial state and after aging were determined.
The test samples were exhibited on the coastal test site on the Black Sea coast in the Imereti Lowland at Cape Imeretinsky (43o23′ N, 39o59′ E) 40 meters from the water edge. The tests were carried out on open atmospheric stands at an angle of 45o to the horizon with the control of the environmental parameters during the exposure of the samples.
High color stability was shown by the coatings of the fluoroplastic group – enamel Viniftor and VE-46, while the worst performance was shown by perchlorovinyl enamel XV-518.
The results of such studies under natural conditions are most valuable for a comparative assessment of the effectiveness of the protective and decorative properties of coatings.
Keywords: full-scale climatic tests, polymer coatings, aging, colorimetric indicators, color difference, destruction.
LIST OF REFERENCES
- Karjakina M. I. Testing of paintwork materials and coatings. M.: Chemistry, 1988. 272 p.
- Pavlov I.N. Aging of plastics in natural and artificial conditions. M.: Chemistry, 1982. 220 p.
- Andryushchenko E.A. Lightfastness of paint coatings. M.: Chemistry, 1986. 192 p.
- Startsev V.O., Nizina T.A. Prediction of climatic aging of epoxy polymers by changing color indicators // VIAM works. 2015. No 12. P. 80–85.
- GOST 16350-80 Climate of the USSR. Zoning and statistical parameters of climatic factors for technical purposes. M.: Publishing house of standards. 1985.
- GOST 9.039-74 ESZKS. Corrosive aggressiveness of the atmosphere. M.: Publishing house of standards. 1991.
- GOST 6992-68 ESZKS. Paint and varnish coatings. Test method for resistance to atmospheric conditions. M .: Publishing house of standards. 2003.
- GOST 9.906-83 ESZKS Climatic test stations. General requirements. M.: Standartinform. 2018.
- GOST 9.407-2015 ESZKS. Paint and varnish coatings. Appearance assessment method. M.: Standartinform. 2015.
- ASTM D2244-16 Standard Practice for Calculation of Color Tolerances and Color Differences from Instrumentally Measured Color Coordinates.
- Gaurav Sharma, Raja Bala Digital Color Imaging Handbook – CRC Press, 2003. 117 p.
- ASTM D2616-12 Standard Test Method for Evaluation of Visual Color Difference With a Gray Scale.
- Ulrich Schulz Accelerated Testing: Nature and Artificial Weathering in the Coatings Industry. Hannover, Germany: VINCENTZ, 2009. 187 p.
- GOST 9.401-2018 ESZKS Paint and varnish coatings. General requirements and methods of accelerated tests for resistance to climatic factors. M.: Standartinform. 2018.
- Rudnev V.P. The study of the preservation of technical inscriptions on protective polymer coatings of products in wet subtropics // Environmental Monitoring Systems, 2019. No. 3 (37). P. 23–28.
- Semenova L.V., Karimova S.A., Polyakova A.V. Modern integrated protection systems for structures made of metal, polymer composite materials and their compounds // Scientific electronic journal “News of materials science. Science and Technology” 2014. No. 3. P. 1–9.
- Drinberg A.S., Karpov V.A., Okhrimenko A.G. Protective coatings based on fluorinated polymers // Paintwork materials and their application. 2017. No. 7–8. P. 39–43.
- Pavlov A.V., Andreeva N.P., Pavlov M.R., Merkulova Yu.I. Climatic tests of a varnish and paint coating based on fluoroplastic and the features of its destruction // VIAM works. 2019. No 5. P. 103–110.