A.B. Polonsky, A.V. Torbinskii, A.V. Gubarev
Institute of Natural and Technical Systems, RF, Sevastopol, Lenin St., 28
This work is a continuation of the comparison of the hydrophysical data of the ORAS5/SODA3/GLORYS re-analyzes with the data of instrumental observations of RAMA in the Indian Ocean. Earlier, in the first part of the work, the authors have already checked the data on the potential temperature, salinity and zonal component of the current vector, averaged over the period 2007–2018. It is shown that the ORAS5, GLORYS and SODA3 reanalyzes equally well reproduce the data on potential temperature and salinity on RAMA buoys at 12°S. The average values of the velocities of zonal currents in all three reanalyzes are lower than the observed values by 2 to 31%. In general, ORAS5 is best of all.
The aim of this work is to verify the hydrophysical data of the ORAS5/SODA3/GLORYS re-analyzes based on the data of instrumental observations of RAMA in the Indian Ocean and to assess the reproducibility of the seasonal cycle and characteristics of interannual variability by these reanalysis.
The work used ORAS5/SODA3/GLORYS/RAMA data on the vertical distribution of potential temperature, salinity and zonal component of the current velocity at point with coordinates 55°E 12°S for the period 2010–2014. It is shown that at 55 °E south of the equator, the GLORYS reanalysis better reproduces the five-year averaged seasonal cycle and interannual variability than the SODA3 and ORAS5 reanalysis.
Keywords: RAMA, SODA3, ORAS5, GLORYS, seasonal cycle, interannual variability.
To quote: Polonsky, A.B., A.V. Torbinskii, and A.V. Gubarev. “Verification of Reanalysis Data for the Tropical Zone of the Indian Ocean. Part 2. Characteristics of the Averaged Seasonal Cycle and Interannual Variability.” Monitoring Systems of Environment no. 4 (December 24, 2020): 119–126. doi:10.33075/2220-5861-2020-4-119-126.
LIST OF REFERENCES
- Polonsky A.B., Torbinskii A.V., Gubarev A.V. Verification of reanalysis data for the tropical zone of the Indian Ocean: Part 1: Multi-year hydrophysical averages. // SKOS. 2020. № 3 (41). P. 30–39. DOI: 10.33075/2220-5861-2020-3-30-38
- https://www.ecmwf.int/en/forecasts/datasets/ (date of the application: 10.08.2020).
- https://www2.atmos.umd.edu/~ocean/ (date of the application: 12.08.2020).
- https://www.mercator-ocean.fr/en/science-publications/glorys/ (date of the application: 14.08.2020).
- https://www.pmel.noaa.gov/tao/drupal/disdel/ (date of the application: 10.08.2020).