L.V. Stelmakh, N.P. Kovrigina
The A.O. Kovalevsky Institute of Biology of Southern Seas of RAS, Sevastopol, Nachimov av., 2
For biotesting the marine environment, multicellular organisms are often used, primarily fish and their embryos. However, microalgae are still not used sufficiently enough for this purpose, the number of tested species is extremely limited.
The aim of this work was to study the response of three species of planktonic microalgae to the complex pollution of the Black Sea coastal waters in the Sevastopol region and to assess the possibility of their application for biotesting.
The studies were carried out on the diatom Phaeodactylum tricornutum and two dinoflagellates Prorocentrum cordatum and Gyrodinium fissum. To characterize the level of pollution of surface waters with organic substances, two indicators were used: BOС5 (biological oxygen consumption) and permanganate oxidizability. Evaluation of the effect of the water sample pollution on microalgae was carried out by the comparison between the coefficient of increase in the abundance of microalgae cells (Xk) in the experiment and the control one.
Laboratory experiments carried out in the summer and autumn periods made it possible to reveal, in most cases, a weak depressing effect of the studied waters pollution on the microalgae growth. Occasionally, this effect reached a chronic level. In the summer period (in June), a stimulating effect of water pollution on the growth of dinoflagellates was observed, reaching the level of subacute level in 50% of cases. The necessity of using several types of microalgae of different taxonomic affiliation when performing biotesting of sea waters is highlighted.
Keywords: marine microalgae, biotesting of waters, integrated monitoring, Sevastopol bays, Black Sea.
To quote: Stelmakh, L.V., and N.P. Kovrigina. “The Use of Marine Microalgae for Biotesting the Waters of Sevastopol Bays.” Monitoring Systems of Environment no. 1 (March 25, 2021): 35–42. doi:10.33075/2220-5861-2021-1-35-42.
LIST OF REFERENCES
- Rudneva I.I. Use of fish embryo biomarkers for the evaluation of mazut toxicity in marine environment. International Aquatic Research. 2019. Vol. 11. Iss. 2. pp. 147–157.
- Zhuravel E., Markina Zh., Aizdaicher N. Growth and Physiological State of the Microalgae Phaeodactylum tricornutum Bohlin (Bacillariophyta) in the Water Taken from Peter the Great Bay. Ocean Science Journal. 2009. Vol. 44(3). pp. 173–179.
- Begun A.A. Bioindikacija sostojanija morskoj sredy po diatomovym vodorosljam jepifitona makrofitov (zaliv Petra Velikogo, Japonskoe more). Izvestija TINRO. 2012. Vol. 69. pp. 77–93.
- Markina Zh.V., Ajzdajcher N.A. Dunaliella salina (Chlorophyta) kak test-obekt dlja ocenki zagrjaznenija morskoj sredy detergentami. Biologija morja. 2005. Vol. 31. No 4. pp. 274–279.
- Parsons T.R., Takahashi M., Hargrejv V. Biologicheskaja okeanografija. M.: Legkaja i pishhevaja promyshlennost’. 1982. 432 p.
- Ocenka toksicheskogo zagrjaznenija vod vodotokov i vodoemov razlichnoj solenosti i zon smeshenija rechnyh i morskih vod metodami biotestirovanija. Rekomendacii. R 52.24.690-2006. http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200070999.
- Metody gidrohimicheskih issledovanij osnovnyh biogennyh jele-mentov. M.: VNIRO. 1988. 119 p.
- Water quality – Algal growth ingibition test with Skeletonema costatum and Phaeodactylum tricornutum. Draft International Standard ISO/DIS 10253.2. 1994. 12 p.
- Tato T., Beiras R. The Use of the Marine Microalga Tisochrysis lutea (T-iso) in Standard Toxicity Tests; Compara-tive Sensitivity With Other Test Species. Frontiers in Marine Science. Vol. 6. Article 488.
- Stelmakh L.V., Stepanova O.A. Effect of Viral Infection on the Functioning and Lysis of Black Sea Microalgae Tetraselmis viridis (Chlorophyta) and Phaeodactylum tricornutum (Bacillari-ophyta). Inland Water Biology. 2020. Vol. 13. Iss. 3. pp. 417–424.