Institute of Natural and Technical Systems, RF, Sevastopol, Lenin St., 28
E – mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
UDC 551.465 (262.5)
The article considers the oxygen regime of the Black Sea, which is an important indicator of the general state of the sea ecosystem. Based on archival observational data from 1923 to 2022, the interdecadal variability of dissolved oxygen is analyzed separately in the deep-water and northwestern parts of the Black Sea. The analysis was carried out only for the spring season (April–June) at the horizons of 0, 10, 20, 40 and 50 m on a multi-year scale with a characteristic time scale of several tens of years.
Based on the results of this work, it is concluded that the photosynthetic activity of aquatic plants plays a significant role in the enrichment of water with oxygen. In spring, with increasing temperature, the intensity of turbulent mixing of the active layer decreases, and photosynthetic aeration becomes the main source of oxygen in the water column. This can be clearly seen on an interdecadal scale, with depth, the oxygen concentration in the deep part in the spring increases due to the photosynthetic enrichment of water with oxygen, and in the northwestern part, the highest oxygen concentrations are found on the surface, so the river runoff most likely has a great influence on the oxygen content. It is shown that from 1989 to 2009. there was a sharp decrease in the average ten-day content of dissolved oxygen (by more than 90 µM). Such a sharp decrease in oxygen content seem to be related to eutrophication in the deep part of the sea in the late 1980s and early 1900s.
Keywords: oxygen regime, northwestern part of the Black Sea, deep water part.
- Bogdanova A.K. Vodoobmen cherez Bosfor i ego rol’ v peremeshivanii vod CHernogo moray (Water exchange through the Bosphorus and its role in mixing the waters of the Black Sea.). Kiev: Naukova dumka, 1969, 245 p.
- Polonskiy A.B. Izmeneniya klimata: mify i real’nost’ (Climate change: myths and reality). Sevastopol’: IPTS, 2020, 233 p.
- Humborg C.V., Ittekkot A., and Bodungen B.Effect of Danube River dam on Black Sea biogeochemistry and ecosystem structure. Nature, 1997, No. 386, pp. 385–388.
- Grgoire M.C., Raick K., and Soetaert K. Numerical modeling of the central Black Sea ecosystem functioning during the eutrophication phase. Prog. Oceanogr., 2008, No. 76, pp. 286–333.
- Konovalov S.K. and Murray J.W. Variations in the chemistry of the Black Sea on a time scale of decades (1960–1995). J. Mar. Syst., 2001, No. 31, pp. 217–243.
- Oguz T.J., Dippner W., and Kaymaz Z. Climatic regulation of the Black Sea hydro-meteorological and ecological properties at interannual-to-decadal time scales. J. Mar. Syst., 2006, No. 60, pp. 235–254.
- Murray J.W., Jannash H.W., and Honjo S. Unexpected changes in the oxic/anoxic interface in the Black Sea. Nature, 1989, No. 338, pp. 411–413.
- Valle A.A. O monitoringe gidrologo-gidrokhimicheskogo rezhima vod Chernogo morya (About monitoring of the hydrological and hydrochemical regime of the Black Sea waters). Sistemy kontrolya okruzhayushchey sredy, 2021, No. 4(46), pp. 5–13. DOI: 10.33075/2220-5861-2021-4-5-13
- Bezborodov A.A. and Eremeev V.N. Chernoe more. Zona vzaimodejstviya aerobnyh i anaerobnyh vod (Black Sea. Zone of interaction between aerobic and anaerobic waters). Sevastopol’: MGI ANU, 1993, 299 p.
- Stunzhas P.A., Mosharov V.E., and Radchenko V.N. Vozmozhnosti fotolyuminescentno-go metoda izmereniya koncentracii kisloroda v redoks zone Chernogo morya v sravnenii s drugimi metodami (Possibilities of the photoluminescent method for measuring oxygen concentration in the redox zone of the Black Sea in comparison with other methods). Okeanologiya, 2013, Vol. 53, No. 4, pp. 558–558.
- Polonskiy A.B. and Kotolupova A.A. Dolgoperiodnaya izmenchivost’ rastvorennogo kisloroda i temperatury verkhnego sloya vod Chernogo morya (Long-term variability of dissolved oxygen and temperature of the upper layer of the Black Sea waters). Okeanologiya, 2019, Vol. 59, No. 1, pp. 22–32.
- Yunev O.A., Konovalov S.K., and Velikova V. Antropogennaya evtrofikaciya v pelagicheskoj zone Chernogo morya: dolgovremennye trendy, mekhanizmy, posledstviya (Anthropogenic eutrophication in the pelagic zone of the Black Sea: long-term trends, mechanisms, consequences). Moscow: GEOS, 2019, 164 p.
- Valle A.A. and Polonskiy A.B. Osobennosti sezonnoy izmenchivosti gidrologo-gidrokhimicheskikh kharakteristik podpovernostnykh vod severo-zapadnoy chasti Chernogo moray (Peculiarities of seasonal variability of hydrological and hydrochemical characteristics of subsurface waters in the northwestern part of the Black Sea). Sistemy kontrolya okruzhayushchey sredy, 2021, No. 2(44), pp. 7–15.
- Yunev O.A. Evtrofikatsiya i godovaya pervichnaya produktsiya fitoplanktona glubokovodnoy chasti Chernogo morya (Eutrophication and annual primary production of phytoplankton in the deep part of the Black Sea). Okeanologiya, 2011, Vol. 51, No. 4, pp. 658–668.
- Finenko Z.Z., Churilova T.Ya., and Sosik Kh.M. Vertikal’noe raspredele-nie fotosinteticheskikh kharakteristik fitoplanktona v Chernom more (Vertical distribution of photosynthetic characteristics of phytoplankton in the Black Sea). Okeanologiya, 2004, Vol. 44, No. 2, pp. 221–237.