О.О. Rybak1,2, Е.А. Rybak1,2, I.А. Korneva1,3
1 Branch of Institute of Natural and Technical Systems, Sochi, Kurortny Ave., 99/18
2 Sochi Scientific Research Centre, Russian Academy of Sciences, Sochi, Teatralnaya St., 8a
3 Institute of Global Climate and Ecology of Roshydromet and RAS, Moscow, Glebovskaya St., 20b
UDC 551.89 551.583.7
Considerable areas on the surface of valley and complex valley glaciers in Central Caucasus are covered with debris. In order to correctly carry out prognostic calculations of glacial run-off, it is necessary to account for amplifying or insulating role of the debris layer (dependently on the thickness of the latter). We focus our study on Djankuat glacier, which is a typical one in the region because of its morphometrical properties. Besides, a map of debris thickness was built for Djankuat. We elaborated a special model block and carried out numerical experiments with real climatic conditions. Insulating role of the debris layer was confirmed. On average melting rate under debris cover reduced by the factor of two.
Keywords: Caucasus, mountain glacier, climate, debris layer, mass balance, mathematical model, monitoring, prediction.
LIST OF REFERENCES
- Djankuat Glacier (Central Caucasus). Water-ice and thermal balance of mountain-glacial basins / ed. by I. ya. Boyarsky. L.: Hydrometeoizdat. 1978. P. 183.
- Konovalov V. G. Modeling and reconstruction of parameters of river runoff and mass balance of glaciers in the North Caucasus / / Ice and Snow. 2014. No. 3 (127). P. 16–30.
- Popovnin V. V., Rezepkin A. A., Tielidze L. G. The Growth of the surface moraine in the language of the dzhankuat glacier during the period of direct glaciological monitoring. 2015. Vol. 19. No. 1. P. 89-98.
- Lambrecht A., Mayer C., Hagg W., Popovnin V., Rezepkin A., Lomidze N., Svanadze D. A comparison of glacier melt on debris-covered glaciers in the northern and southern Caucasus // The Cryosphere. 2011. V. 5. P. 525–538.
- Bozhinsky A. N., KRASS M. S., Popovnin V. V. The role of the moraine cover in the Thermophysics of mountain glaciers // Materials of glaciological research. 1985. Issue 52, P. 31-46.
- Østrem G. Ice melting under a thin layer of moraine and the existence of ice cores in moraine ridges // Geografiska Annaler, Series A. 1959. V. 31. P. 228–
- Reid T.D., Brock B.W. An energy-balance model for debris-covered glaciers including heat conduction through the debris layer // Journal of Glaciology. 2010. V. 56 (199). P. 903–
- Adhikary S., Seko K., Nakawo M., Ageta Y., Miyazaki N. Effect of surface dust on snow melt // Bulletin of Glacier Research. 1997. V. 15. P. 85–92.
- Kirkbride M.P., Dugmore A.J. Glaciological response to distal tephra fallout from the 1947 eruption of Hekla, south Iceland // Journal of Glaciology. 2003. V. 49(166). P. 420-428.
- Popovnin V.V., Rozova A.V. Influence of sub-debris thawing on ablation and runoff of the Djankuat Glacier in the Caucasus // Hydrology Research. 2002. V. 33. No. 1. P. 75–94.
- Reaction of glaciers in the Central Caucasus in 2001-2010 to changes in temperature and precipitation / G. A. Nosenko, T. E. Khromova, O. V. Rototaeva [et al.] / / Ice and Snow. 2013. No.1 (121). P. 26-33.
- Pelto M. Mass balance of adjacent debris-covered and clean glacier ice in the North Cascades, Washington // IAHS Publ. 2000. V. 264. P. 35–42.
- Rec E. P., Frolova N. L., Popovnin V. V. Modeling of melting of the surface of a mountain glacier / / Ice and Snow, 2011, No. 4 (116), P. 24-31.
- Thickness, volume of ice and subglacial relief of the dzhankuat glacier (Central Caucasus) / I. I. Lavrentiev, S. S. Kutuzov, D. A. Petrakov [et al.] / / Ice and Snow. 2014. No. 4 (128). P. 7-19.
- Calibration of a mathematical model of the dynamics of the Marukh glacier, Western Caucasus / O. O. Rybak, E. A. Ryzhak, S. S. Kutuzov [et al.] / / Ice and snow. 2015. No. 2 (130). P. 9-20.
- Rybak O. O., Rybak E. A., Morozova P. A. Modeling and forecast of the mass balance of mountain glaciers in the Central Caucasus under climate change conditions // Monitoring systems of environment. Sevastopol: INTS. 2016. Issue 6 (26). P. 93-100.
- Rybak O. O., Rybak E. A. Application of data from network meteorological stations for calculating the mass balance of glaciers (on the example of the Dzhankuat glacier, Central Caucasus) / / Monitoring systems of environment. Sevastopol: INTS. Issue 9 (29). P. 100-108.
- Rybak O. O., Rybak E. A. Calculation of the melting rate of sections of a mountain glacier covered with a moraine cover // Polythematic network electronic scientific journal of Kuban state agrarian University (scientific journal of kubgau) [Electronic resource]. Krasnodar: Kubgau. 2017. № 09 (133). Mode of access: http://ej.kubagro.ru/2017/09/pdf/78.pdf (date of request: 20.01.2018).
- Popovnin V. V., Pylayeva, T. V. Avalanche power glacier Djankuat // Ice and Snow. 2015. № 2 (130). P. 21–32