1Sevastopol State University, RF, Sevastopol, Universitetskaya St., 33
2 Institute of Natural and Technical Systems, RF, Sevastopol, Lenin St., 28
UDC 621.384 – 027.31
The results of a study of the possible application of the basic method for vertical profiling of the oceanic column as a stratified aquatic environment, proposed by the author for using in operational oceanology are presented. The method provides real-time measurement of the density of sea water in situ as a function of depth. The system of dynamic measurements built on this basis makes it possible to form arrays of vertical profiles of sea water density and its increment, as well as sound velocity as functions of hydrostatic pressure, obtained in one sounding. At the same time, arrays of complete and thermohaline vertical stability of water layers are formed almost in parallel, as well as the corresponding vertical distributions of the Väisälä-Brunt frequency of thermohaline oscillations in a stratified ocean environment. The application of the method for reducing the time and financial costs of conducting oceanographic stations by using smart profiling algorithms is considered. In order to expand the measuring base of operational ocean research, algorithms for synchronous profiling based on the use of terminal control of autonomous marine profilers with buoyancy controllers are proposed. The questions of optimization of dynamic measurements are investigated. In the course of modeling, as an object of measurements, a simulation model of the ocean environment with vertical density stratification and the corresponding speed of sound in sea water, developed on the basis of real data of profile measurements obtained during specific hydrological stations, is used. Verification of models of dynamic measurement processes is carried out by computer simulation in the MATLAB & Simulink environment. Illustrations of the results of computer simulation are given.
Keywords: profiler, ocean stratification, computer model, seawater density, dynamic measurements, Väisälä-Brunt frequency, vertical stability.
- Zelen’ko A.A. Operativnaya okeanologiya: modelirovaniye, monitoring i prognozirovaniye gidrofizicheskikh poley Mirovogo okeana: dis. d-ra fiz-mat nauk (Operational Oceanology: Modeling, Monitoring and Forecasting of the Hydrophysical Fields of the World Ocean: Thesys for the Doctor of Physics and Mathematics), Sevastopol’, 2018, 251 p.
- Krasnodubets L.A. Metod opredeleniya vertikal’nogo profilya plotnosti morskoy vody na osnove izmereniy parametrov dvizheniya neupravlyayemogo avtonomnogo zonda (Method for determining the vertical density profile of sea water based on measurements of the motion parameters of an uncontrolled autonomous probe). Sistemy kontrolya okruzhayushchey sredy, 2017, No. 10, pp. 8–15.
- Wright D.G., Pawlowicz R., McDougall T.J., Feistel R., and Marion G.M. Absolute Salinity, “Density Salinity” and the Reference-Composition Salinity Scale: present and future use in the seawater standard TEOS-10. Ocean Sci., 2011, No. 7, pp. 1–26.
- Lynne D. Talley. Descriptive Physical Oceanography. Academic Press Inc. (London), 2011, 564 p.
- Arkhipkin V.S., Dobrolyubov S.A. Okeanologiya. Fizicheskiye svoystva morskoy vody (Physical properties of sea water), Moscow: Izd-vo Yurayt, 2020, 216 p.
- Krasnodubets L.A., Zaburdayev V.I., and Al’chakov V.V. Upravleniye morskimi buyami-profilemerami kak metod povysheniya reprezentativnosti termokhalinnykh izmereniy. Modeli dvizheniya (Control of marine profiler buoys as a method for increasing the representativeness of thermohaline measurements. Motion models). Morskoy gidrofizicheskiy zhurnal, 2012, No. 4, pp. 69–79.
- https://argo.ucsd.edu/how-do-floats-work/ (February 04, 2022)
- Krasnodubets L.A. Morskiye nablyudatel’nyye sistemy s podvizhnymi platformami sbora dannykh (Marine observation systems with mobile data collection platforms), Sevastopol’: IPTS, 2018, 208 p.
- Krasnodubets L.A. Kontseptsiya primeneniya i modelirovaniye morskogo avtonomnogo smart profilografa (The concept of application and modeling of a marine autonomous smart profiler). Sistemy kontrolya okruzhayushchey sredy, 2020, No. 3, pp. 106–113. DOI: 10.33075/2220-5861-2020-3-106-113.