Institute of Natural and Technical Systems, RF, Sevastopol, Lenin St., 28
Mytilaster lineatus is a massive bivalve mollusk of the Black Sea coastal ecosystems. Recently, under the conditions of climatic changes that have not bypassed the Black Sea region, it has significantly replaced another mutilidae, mussel Mytilus galloprovincialis, in the rocky biotope of the Crimean coast. The control of the potential recruitment of the Black Sea populations of these species under changing conditions is one of the elements of ecological monitoring. When assessing the mussels and mytilaster recruitment rate unified artificial substrates with a hairy surface are used. The substrates are exposed in the water column at different depth horizons for a certain period of time. The distribution of mytilaster post-larvae on the surface of control substrates, as well as their size composition in comparison with the previously obtained results for the M. galloprovincialis mussel was analyzed. A similarity in the distribution of post-larvae of mollusks was found. This is expressed in an increased density of their post-larvae on the upper edge of the substrate, which may indicate similarity in the behavior and vital needs of mussel and mytilaster post-larvae. Compared to the mussel, the post-larvae of the mytilaster were smaller and their size composition changed more strongly with depth. Practical absence on the control substrates of a large number of mytilaster post-larvae longer than 1,0 mm may indicate a low probability of mass secondary settling of the mollusk and the possibility of not taking this phenomenon into account when monitoring the mytilaster potential recruitment in the Black Sea. The results obtained should be taken into account when improving the methods for monitoring the potential recruitment of the studied mollusks and developing more effective ways of recording mussel and mytilaster post-larvae on control substrates.
Keywords: mytilaster, mussel, recruitment, post-larvae, edge effect, secondary settling.
- Skarlato O.A. and Starobogatov Y.I. Klass dvustvorchatye mollyuski – Bivalvia (Class bivalve mollusks – Bivalvia). Opredelitel’ fauny Chernogo i Azovskogo morej. Kiev: Naukova dumka, 1972, Vol. 3, pp. 178–250.
- Broka V.S. and Neengevich M.R. The distribution of Mytilaster lineatus in the Caspian Sea. Zoologicheskii zhurnal, 1941, 20 (1), pp. 79–99.
- Malinovskaya L.V., Zinchenko T.D., and Rozenberg G.S. Mollyusk-vselenec Mytilaster lineatus (Gmelin) v Severnom Kaspii: mnogoletnyaya dinamika razvitiya (The invasive mollusk Mytilaster lineatus (Gmelin) in the Northern Caspian: long-term dynamics of development). Vestnik Volzhskogo universiteta im. V.N. Tatishcheva, 2012, No. 1 (9), pp. 224–231.
- Molodcova A.L. and Polyaninova A.A. Sostoyanie nagula osetrovyh v Kaspijskom more v 2003 g (Status of sturgeon feeding in the Caspian Sea in 2003). Rybohozyajstvennye issledovaniya na Kaspii. Rezul’taty NIR za 2003 g. Astrachan: Izd-vo KaspNIRH, 2004, pp. 215–225.
- Morton B. and Puljas S. The biology and functional morphology of Mytilaster minimus (Bivalvia: Mytiloidea: Mytilidae) from the intertidal dinaric karst of Croatia (Adriatic Sea). Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom, 2018, Vol. 98, Special Issue 8, pp. 1999–2016.
- Kovalyova M.A., Boltachyova N.A., and Kostenko N.S. Mnogoletnyaya dinamika sostoyaniya poselenij Mytilidae na skalah Karadaga (Long-term dynamics of the state of Mytilidae settlements on the rocks of Karadag). Morskoj ekologicheskij zhurnal, 2012, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 39–44.
- Belokopytov V.N. O klimaticheskoj izmenchivosti termohalinnoj struktury Chernogo mory (On the climatic variability of the thermohaline structure of the Black Sea). Ekologicheskaya bezopasnost’ pribrezhnoj i shel’fovoj zon i kompleksnoe ispol’zovanie resursov shel’fa, 2013, No. 27, pp. 226–230.
- Novikova A.N. and Polonskij A.B. Mezhdesyatiletnyaya izmenchivost’ temperatury poverhnosti i holodnogo promezhutochnogo sloya v Chyornom more (Interdecadal variability of the temperature of the surface and the cold intermediate layer in the Black Sea). Sistemy kontrolya okruzhayushchej sredy, 2018, No. 4 (34), pp. 110–115.9.
- Il’in Y.P. and Repetin L.N. Klimaticheskie izmeneniya gidrometeorologicheskogo rezhima severnogo i vostochnogo poberezhij Chernogo morya (Climatic changes in the hydrometeorological regime of the northern and eastern coasts of the Black Sea). Ekologicheskaya bezopasnost’ pribrezhnoj i shel’fovoj zon i kompleksnoe ispol’zovanie resursov shel’fa, 2011, No. 21(1), pp. 157–168.
- Kazankova I.I. Vliyanie povysheniya temperatury poverhnostnogo sloya morya na potencial’nuyu popolnyaemost’ populyacii midii u beregov yugo-zapadnogo Kryma (The effect of elevated temperature of the sea surface on the mussel recruitment off the coast of the southwestern Crimea). Sistemy kontrolya okruzhayushchej sredy, 2020, No. 3 (41), pp. 133–138.
- Kazankova I.I. and Shchurov S.V. Sposob izucheniya popolnyaemosti poselenij midii, mitilyastera i anadary v pribrezhnoj zone Chernogo morya (A method for studying the recruitment of mussel, mitilyaster and anadara settlements in the coastal zone of the Black Sea): patent 2548105 RF. MPK A01K 61/00№2014150175/93 / patentoobladatel’ FGBUN “Institut morskih biologicheskih issledovanij imeni A.O. Kovalevskogo RAN”, Opubl. 10.04.2015, Byul. No. 10.
- Kiseleva G.A. Vliyanie substrata na osedanie i metamorfoz lichinok bentosnyh zhivotnyh (Influence of substrate on settling and metamorphosis of larvae of benthic animals). Donnye biocenozy i biologiya bentosnyh organizmov Chernogo morya. Kiev: Naukova dumka, 1967, pp. 71–84.
- Kazankova I.I. Opredelenie potencial’noj popolnyaemosti poselenij midii, mitilyastera i anadary v pribrezhnyh akvatoriyah Chernogo i Adriaticheskogo morej s pomoshch’yu eksperimental’nyh substratov (Measuring the potential recruitment of mussel, mytilaster and anadara settlement in the coastal waters of the Black and Adriatic seas by experimental substrates). Sistemy kontrolya okruzhayushchej sredy, 2019, No. 3 (37), pp. 112–119.
- Kazankova I.I. Osobennosti raspredeleniya i razmernyj sostav postlichinok midii Mytilus galloprovincialis na kontrol’nyh substratah v pribrezhnyh vodah yuzhnogo i yugo-zapadnogo Kryma (Features of the distribution and size composition of post-larvae of the mussel Mytilus galloprovincialis on control substrates in the coastal waters of the southern and south-western Crimea). Sistemy kontrolya okruzhayushchej sredy, 2022, No. 3 (49). pp. 27–36.
- Caceres-Martinez J., Robledo J.A.F., and Figueras A. Settlement and post-larvae behavior of Mytilus galloprovincialis: field and laboratory experiments. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser., 1994, Vol. 112, pp. 107–117.
- Bayne B.L. The biology of mussel larvae. Marine mussels: their ecology and physiology. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1976, pp. 81–120.