A.S. Gulin, R.P. Trenkenshu, E.L. Nevrova, I.A. Kharchuk, A.A. Chekushkin
The A.O. Kovalevsky Institute of Biology of Southern Seas of RAS,
RF, Sevastopol, Nakhimov Av., 2
The work focuses on the characteristics of the cultivation of diatoms. Diatoms have significantly higher growth rates compared to other groups of microalgae. Most strains can double their cell mass in cultures within 24 hours and require a small amount of simple nutrients. Various systems for cultivation are considered and the analysis of their advantages and disadvantages is made. It is concluded that floating photobioreactors are the most promising system.
Experimental testing of a set-up designed for cultivation of various size groups of microalgae in natural conditions was carried out within forty days in the coastal waters of the Black Sea.
As a result of the experiment, after taxonomic identification, the possibility of placing and further successful growth of different-sized representatives of three classes of the Bacillariophyta division in the container of the photobioreactor was established. They are promising objects for cultivation aimed at biotechnological production of high biomass.
The set-up can be proposed as an indicator system for complex monitoring of the state of the environment, since the assessment of the taxonomic composition and microalgae biomass obtained during cultivation reflects the ecological situation in the water body. The use of the photobioreactor may also be of interest for the cultivation of certain indicator species, especially those demanding favorable environmental conditions, with a subsequent assessment of the increase in their abundance and biomass.
Keywords: photobioreactor, floating cultivator, microalgae.
- Seckbach J. and Gordon R. Diatoms: fundamentals and applications / Eds: Hoboken, New Jersey: Wiley, Salem, Massachusetts: Scrivener, 2019, 679 p.
- Chisti Y. Biodiesel from microalgae. Biotechnology Advances, 2007, Vol. 25, pp. 294–306.
- Fangrui M., Milford A., and Hanna B. Biodiesel production: a review. Bioresource Technology, 1999, Vol. 70, pp. 1–15.
- Amaro H. Advances and perspectives in using microalgae to produce biodiesel. Applied Energy, 2011, Vol. 88, pp. 3402–3410.
- Kumar V. Plants and algae species: Promising renewable energy production source. Emirates Journal of Food and Agriculture, 2014, Vol. 26, pp. 679–692.
- Hoffman J., Pate R., Drennen T., and Quinn J. Techno-economic assessment of open microalgae production systems. Algal Research-Biomass Biofuels Bioproducts, 2017, Vol. 23, pp. 51–57.
- Vasudevan V., Stratton R., Pearlson M., Jersey G., Beyene A., Weissman J., Rubino M., and Hileman J. Environmental performance of algal biofuel technology options. Environmental Science & Technology, 2012, Vol. 46, pp. 2451–2459.
- Gulin A.S., Trenkenshu R.P., and Dykman A.O. Ustroystvo dlya kul’tivirovaniya razlichnykh razmernykh grupp mikrovodorosley v yestestvennykh usloviyakh i indikatsii ekologicheskoy situatsii v vodoyemakh (A device for cultivating various size groups of microalgae in natural conditions and indicating the ecological situation in water bodies). Sistemy kontrolya okruzhayushchey sredy, 2022, № 4 (50), pp. 93-97.
- Chekushkin A.A., Lelekov A.S., and Trenkenshu R.P. Avtomaticheskiy datchik registratsii sutochnykh kolebaniy osveshchonnosti v rayone g. Sevastopolya (Automatic sensor for registration of daily fluctuations in illumination in the area of Sevastopol). Aktual’nyye voprosy biologicheskoy fiziki i khimii, 2018, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 547–552.
- Nevrova E.L. Raznoobrazie i struktura taksocenov bentosnyh diatomovyh vodoroslej (Ba-cillariophyta) Chyornogo morya (Diversity and structure of taxocenes of benthic diatoms (Bacillariophyta) of the Black Sea). Ed.: Gaevskaya A.V.,Institute of Biology of the Southern Seas, A. O. Kovalevsky RAS, Sevastopol: FIC InBYuM, 2022, 329 p.
- Round F., Crawford R., and Mann D. The diatoms. Biology and morphology of the general. Cambridge: Cambridge University press, 1990, 747 p.
- AlgaeBase. World-wide electronic publication / Comp.: Guiry M. D., Guiry G. M. National University of Ireland, Galway. 1996–2023. https://www.algaebase.org; searched on 5.04.2023.
- Levkov Z. Amphora sensu lato. Ruggell: A.R.G. Gantner Verlag K.G. (Diatoms of Europe: Diatoms of the European Inland Waters and Comparable Habitats / Ed: Lange-Bertalot H. 2009. Vol. 5, 916 p.
- Witkowski A., Lange-Bertalot H., and Metzeltin D. Diatom flora of marine coast 1 Iconographia Diatomologica: Annotated Diatom Monographs. Koenigstein: Koeltz Scientific Books. 2000, Vol. 7, 926 p.
- ImageJ (v18.104.22.168) (Image Processing and analysis in Java): [site]. 2010. URL: https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/ (March 5, 2022).