S.A. Sholar1, O.A. Stepanova2, L.V. Stelmach3
1Marine Hydrophysical Institute of RAS, RF, Sevastopol, Kapitanskaya St., 2
2Institute of Natural and Technical Systems, RF, Sevastopol, Lenin St., 28
3The A.O. Kovalevsky Institute of Marine Biological Research of RAS, RF, Sevastopol, Nachimov Av., 2
UDC 535.8; 581.526.325.3; 578.4
As a part of experiments to study optical properties of the aquatic environment in the presence of microbiota a simple and easy-to-use experimental laboratory stand was adapted and tested. The stand is a construction of two identical transparent tanks of equal volume (up to 15 l), intended for control and experimental measurements of the optical characteristics of sea water using a small-size multi-spectral light beam attenuation meter under the conditions of the same illumination and temperature.
In tanks, model biological systems are created, the basis of which is pasteurized seawater, to which microbiota is added, which affects the optical properties of the aqueous medium (environment). As microbiota either cultures of certain types of microalgae or mixed cultures are used. At the same time, viral suspension of algal virus is added to the experiment (test), and an equal volume of pasteurized sea water is added to the control.
The experiments performed with measuring the attenuation of light beam attenuation coefficient in model biological systems revealed the effect of microbiota on the optical properties of the aquatic environment: an increase in the attenuation of light as a result of the growth of microalgae cultures (in control) and its decrease due to viral culture lysis (in the experiment).
Keywords: laboratory stand, small-size multi-spectral light beam attenuation meter, microalgae culture, algal viruses, viral lysis.
LIST OF REFERENCES:
- Holmes R. Who rules the waves? // New Sci. 1996. 152, N 2054. Suppl. P. 8–9.
- Likhoshvay E. V. in every drop of water – viruses. First-hand science. November. 2016. no. 4 (70). P. 88-94. https://scfh.ru/files/iblock/d7a/d7acfec64738d9535246d10cc486b6e2.pdf (date of request: 01.05.19).
- Yakovenko M. L. Viruses-a new factor in the ecology of the sea. The Journal “Biology.” Publishing house “First of September”. 2000. no. 8 (543) and no. 9 (544). https://bio.1september.ru/view_article.php?ID=200000801 (date of request: 01.05.19).
- Suttle C.A. Marine viruses – major players in the global ecosystem // Nature Reviews Microbiology. 2007. N 5. P. 801–812.
- Proposal for SCOR WG to Investigate the Role of Viruses in Marine Ecosystems // Proceedings of the Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research (Venice, Italy, Sept. 2004). Baltimore (USA), 2005. Vol. 40. P. 66–70. (Annex 4).
- Wommack K.E., Colwell R.R. Virioplankton: Viruses in aquatic ecosystems // Microbiol. and Molec. Biol. Reviews. 2000. Vol. 64, N 1. P. 69–114.
- Stepanova O. A. Responses of hydrosphere viruses and their unicellular hosts to environmental factors // Monitoring systems of environment. Sevastopol: INTS. 2018. Iss. 12 (32). P. 99–108.
- Sholar S. A., Li M. E. Optical contact methods of hydrosphere monitoring and their possible use in new research // Monitoring systems of environment. Sevastopol: INTS. 2018. Iss. 4 (34). P. 17–26.
- Stelmakh L. V. Seasonal variability of the specific growth rate of phytoplankton in the coastal waters of the Black sea // Monitoring systems of environment. Sevastopol: INTS. 2018. Iss. 1 (31). P. 101–109.
- Stelmakh L. V. Ecological and physiological bases of development of spring “water blooming” of coccolithophorid Emiliania huxleyi in the Black sea // Monitoring systems of environment. Sevastopol: INTS. 2018. Iss. 3 (33). P. 85–92.
- Mansurova I. M. the Influence of light on the specific growth rate Zinovyevich algae of the Black sea // Marine. Ecol. journal 2013. Vol. 12. P. 73–78.
- Beckett S.J., Weitz J.S. The Effect of Strain Level Diversity on Robust Inference of Virus-Induced Mortality of Phytoplankton // Frontiers in Microbiology. 2018. 9. Article 1850. DOI: 10.3389
- Trenkenshu R. P., Lelekov A. S., Gavrilov P. E., Naboishchikov V. S. Mathematical model of the dependence of the optical density of culture on microalgae biomass // Current issues of biological physics and chemistry. 2016. № 1-1. P. 77–82.
- Ecology of marine viruses – Banyuls–sur–mer, 19–22 March 2003. Monaco. 2003. 94 p. (CIESM Workshop Monographs; No 21).
- Manual of aquatic viral ecology. Limnology and Oceanography e-Books. 2010, by the American Society of Limnology and Oceanography. Chapter 1–19. 201p. https://aslo.org/page/manual-of-aquatic-viral-ecology (date of request: 01.05.19).
- Stepanova O. A., Gaisky P. V. Dynamics of changes in the electrical conductivity of sea water under the influence of the biotic component in experimental conditions // Monitoring systems of environment. Sevastopol: INTS. 2018. Iss. 11 (31). С. 48–56.
- Stepanova O. A., Gaisky P. V., Sholar S. A. Influence of viral lysis on some physical parameters of sea water under experimental conditions // Monitoring systems of environment. Sevastopol: INTS. 2018. Iss. 13 (33). С. 19–28.
- Stepanova O. A. The Black sea alovirus // Sea biology. 2016. Vol. 42, № 2. P. 99–103.
- Declarative patent for an invention 65864A UA, MKU 7 C12 N 1/12. Method of isolation of algoviruses of single-kilt algae, for example Platymonas viridis Rouch (Chlorophita) / Stepanova O. A. (UA); applicant O. O. Kovalevsky Institute of biology of the Southern seas of the national Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (UA). no. 2003065499; application 13.06.2003; publ. 15.04.2004, bul. № 4 // Industrial property. 2004. № 4.
- Latushkin A. A. Multichannel measuring the attenuation coefficient of light for carrying out Oceanographic ground truth studies // Management and mechatronic systems. Sevastopol: MGI NAS of Ukraine. 2013. P. 231–236.
- Bio-optical anomalies in the world’s oceans: An investigation on the diffuse attenuation coefficients for downward irradiance derived from biogeochemical Argo float measurements / E. Organelli, H. Claustre, A. Bricaud [et al.] // Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans. 2017. Vol. 122. Iss. 5. P. 3543–3564.
- Trenkenshu R. P., Lelekov A. S., Borovkov A. B., Novikova T. M. Unified installation for laboratory research of microalgae [Electronic resource] // Questions of modern Algology. 2017. № 1 (13). Access mode: http://algology.ru/1097 (date of request 01.05.2019).